I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America

And to the Republic for which it stands One nation, under God, Indivisible With Liberty and Justice for all.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Quest for Knowledge... the Journey Begins

I am always in search of knowledge and understanding. This is especially true as it ("it" being the happenings that mold, form and affect our everyday lives) is now somehow more important to me to understand the whats, whys and wherefores of history as it relates to where I am now, and how it will and/or does affect my future.

I admit, I was not one for History in school; it bored me. (I know, how stupid was I?) Now, I sit enthralled by everything on the History channel, wishing I had more hours in the day to soak it all up. I read, I "google", I am so ignorant.

I've heard the saying, "'You must understand the past or you are doomed to repeat it'" or some such similar saying. Only now am I beginning to grasp what truths lie behind this. Unfortunately (and I mean that), I was born in that in-between time where these truths were not relayed to us. Obviously, I was not born in the WWI, WWII, Korean, or Viet Nam eras. I started life out about 1 year before Viet Nam ended. By the time I was old enough to grasp what it was, it was more the subject of sad jokes and whispers. We barely ever made it through WWI in the entire school career of History classes I took. We occasionally touched on WWII, just enough to get you interested, and then the year would be over. I don't remember ever studying anything beyond that. Doesn't say much for our education back then, and I graduated 8th in my class.

So now I'm 29 (laugh if you will) -ish and find myself painfully ignorant of past recent history and seemingly nowhere to learn. In school, Viet Nam was not spoken of, and I was barely into my teens during Beirut and Grenada. Sadly, it was not until just a few days ago that i even had an inkling of what those were even about. And I am just sick to find out about the loss of all those Marines in October of 1983. What I remember of that time was cheering for our Junior High football team, school dances and silly shit that is so meaningless now that I am actually embarrassed. I vaguely remember Desert Storm (i was into my second child and the world was a blur.) I do remember watching the news and seeing the Patriot Missiles take down the SCUD Missiles EVERY TIME and cheering wildly. I still am not entirely sure of the entire story behind that. Now with Saddam executed, I'm gaining a clearer picture.

I am not proud of the fact that I know so little of our Military history. I am less proud that I did not get more involved with supporting our Heroes before this last year. 9/11 rocked my world. I remember vividly where I was, who I was speaking with and being nearly catatonic from shock for roughly 2 days. I was a fortunate one in that I did not lose a loved one, know anyone or even know a friend of a friend in the tragedy. I was sad for all those as I watched in complete disbelief. And then I was REAAAALLLLYYY pissed off.

I grew up in a little 3 light town, hangin' out drinking beer with the gang when the police would just take you home instead of busting you. Cruisin' Main Street, hangin' out at the Dairy Whip or down by the slaw factory when the pool was closed, we'd be out til 2-3am and never think anything of walking around the block at midnight. We could sleep with our doors unlocked and windows open. Mine are now bolted shut soon as I step inside. I live in a small city, normal crime, drugs being the high of the day. But never, ever, once was I ever led to believe that something such as the Twin Towers/Plane/Pentagon would ever take place in America. Other countries, yep, heard about terrorists all the time. This place, hell no. This was the greatest country in the world!!! You can do what you want, go where you want, say as you please, be educated, have all your dreams in this country. I couldn't imagine why anyone WOULDN'T want to be here. It still befuddles me. Thanks mom and dad for giving me such a happy childhood and the thought that the world is a good and kind place. I mean that sincerely. I know now it is not. But I have instilled that in my children along with the knowledge that evil lurks and to be prepared.

I have always known my dad was in the US Navy before I was born. I recently found out my Grandfather was as well. I am fortunate to still have my Dad to be able to ask questions, my Grandfather I am not. I lost him many years ago. I am sad today that I was too young when he was around and able-minded to answer the questions I now have. I guess this is where I initially obtained my sense of country and pride. That and my mother was fanatically patriotic. She was of the hippie era, and such a strange mix of free love, live and let live jive and the Red, White and Blue USA. So here I am. I am not a political whiz. I vote because I am able, and because a lot of people sacrificed so I could. I am not thrilled with the war; however. I know that as an independent nation, it is a necessary evil to remain an independent nation. I will gladly support that. And you can damn sure bet that I will support each and every Hero who defends my rights and freedoms. Always. Each and every one.

So now my quest begins... and I'm enlisting the help of you folks out there. I will post questions, articles I've found, and other items that lead me to questions. I have an inquiring mind. I will have questions, form opinions and ask for clarity. Your mission is to comment on my musings, point out my misunderstandings and bring clarity to all who are interested in any of the past wars, "incidents" and Operations. I look to the older generations for guidance in this. We are fast losing our Veterans of past wars. It is not a political forum, although I'm sure that will play a part in the reasonings. There is no "war protesting". This is just a path to clear understanding.

No comments: