I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America

And to the Republic for which it stands One nation, under God, Indivisible With Liberty and Justice for all.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Things that made me sad today...

In addition to getting the devastating news about my cousin's 5-year-old Ashley (diagnosis confirmed yesterday- Cystic Fibrosis) I've read and felt compelled to comment on the situation at WRMC as well as one of many (and certainly not the only) missions that have brought the end to our Heroes' lives. Maybe I'm overly sensitive these days, or as one of the guys at work says "hmmm 28 days already?" (butthead) but these just broke my heart and left me so terribly sad today. *sigh* As much as I love my Heroes and what I do for SA, some days it's just damn difficult. As a Medic once shared with me... "Conserve the Fighting Strength". So Buckle up, Miss Behavin'... you have a mission.

http://sgthook.com/2007/02/22/my-organization/ A moving blog entry about the state of affairs at the WRMC... courtesy of Sgt Hook... thanks Hero...

I truly hope this is resolved. These Heroes have scars and injuries, both physical and psychological, because they were upholding their duties and protecting us, including all the caregivers at WRMC. To whom are we most thankful? The “healthy” Heroes currently fighting, who come home to PTSD? The wounded, who come home bearing battle injuries as a physical reminder that they can no longer expect a “normal” life? The Heroes who gave all? Are there varying degrees of gratefulness? Should there be? Lay to rest with all the respect the ones who so richly deserve, and give the absolute best care to all those left to carry on in their wake. It is not a courtesy; it is our duty as American citizens to love and care for those who protect us.

http://badgersforward.blogspot.com/2007/02/badgers-down-8-february-2007.html A heart-rendering recollection of a moment in time that changes a man forever.

In all the work with Soldiers’ Angels, the attachments we form talking, writing and emailing with our Heroes, we sometimes push to the back of our minds the absolute reality of what’s happening over there. It’s easy to do, because we are fortunate enough to not have this happening on our home soil. It’s also sometimes a self-preservation, because if we make it fun for the Heroes for just a moment, maybe it won’t seem so bad; it won’t be real. Yet, every time I see a new Hero reported, every time I see footage that just stops me cold, every report or blog I read I remember why I love this country so much, and all the Heroes who are doing what they do. I’m in tears as I write this; I cannot pretend to understand how those men feel. I did not know any of the men from this team, yet I feel my heart ripped out at the news. I pray the families will find peace through this. And I gear up to write extra letters, send more care packages and try to do something that gives our Heroes something concrete to grasp as they move out on their next mission. It just doesn’t seem “enough”.

No comments: