I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America

And to the Republic for which it stands One nation, under God, Indivisible With Liberty and Justice for all.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The ebb and flow of my Heroes...

Ok... we all know how much I love my Heroes. They are brave, courageous folks that mean the world to me. On top of that, they are some of the most caring, generous and sometimes downright hilarious people I know. I grew up around police officers, so the "charms" of the uniform are familiar. I learned through that, though, that the uniform does not make the man, so the charms of some were quickly not-so-charming. Yet there's something about seeing our Heroes in uniform in person that makes me want to do stupid stuff like salute them. I know, sounds silly, but they just get so squirrely about hugging them. :) LOL. When my "son" Joel comes home to visit he just can't help but cringe when I throw my arms around him. (He just looks so darn cute!!!) He is, however, enough of a gentleman now to not push me away. He was a joy to have around, and I'm so proud of him.

I talk to several Heroes on a regular basis, and I've been introduced to a few new ones in the past couple weeks and all bring me great happiness when I hear from them. I just couldn't help but share some of my stories. I save my emails and snail mails. I don't blog them but I have them tucked away in a special box with my other treasures sent me from my Heroes.

Dante, from whom I've not heard in a couple months. A fellow Buckeye who has a biting sense of humor and a pretty good handle on things for a young guy. Every once in awhile he'll shoot me an email to let me know he's ok. He will never know how much relief I feel from just that one short message. Miss hearin' from ya, hope you're ok.

David, part of a motor pool, who occasionally answers my weekly emails to let me know everyone in his group is ok and they look forward to hearing from me. Great group of guys and that, too, brings me a bit of peace to see that email. Your emails make MY day... who's the Angel?

Gregory, a kind man with reassuring words who helps me without even knowing at times. You're thought of often and prayed for daily.

Becky, a great gal who has lousy taste in football teams... j/k fly girl... always enjoy hearing from ya! She sends me little inspirational messages and I know when I see something from her, it will make me smile. Maybe the Bears will do it NEXT year, hon... ;)

Cpt H, an amazing person with an infectious attitude, with first-person accounts that are fascinating. In the precious little time he gets at a computer, he takes the time to send me a detailed (within reason) letter and share the experiences of he and his men. *A boss knows how; A LEADER shows how* You ARE a Leader Cpt H

Robert, a young fellow who has me in stitches all the time. Yes, I'm sure you ARE the perfect man for me, Hero... too bad I'm old enough to be your... uh... aunt, yea that's it! :) But every day he "talks" to me, just little messages back and forth like chit-chat between two people. Again, another one I look forward to hearing from because he brings a smile to my face. *Muah*

Phillip, a new Hero to my e-pals, kinda quiet, but somehow he's moved into the "I wonder if he's ok" category and sporadically I hear from him. That's ok, the new ones soon become the old favorites. Strong, silent types... my favorites!

KC, another new addition to my epal group... just let me know today that it's down to a month and a half... *psst... the correct phrase is "less than 60 days" - just keep saying that to yourself until the plane touches US Soil, honey* Praying for your safe return to your family... thanks for sharing my space for a short while.

Meeting the new ones helps with the ones who have come home that I don't hear from as much, if at all. I have a select few that I miss talking to terribly. Sometimes the sadness is overwhelming. Our lives ebb and flow, we lose track of old friends, make new ones, have our hearts broken and healed. I know this. It's a painful lesson we learn throughout life. Gone are the days of innocence and being carefree. dammit, I wanna be carefree and hopeful and full of happiness again.

Welcome to my world Heroes. I'm honored to have you as part of mine, even if only for a short while. :) And as always, Thank You for being My Heroes.

Miss Behavin


No comments: