I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America

And to the Republic for which it stands One nation, under God, Indivisible With Liberty and Justice for all.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Quest for Knowledge... Pearl Harbor

I'm watching the movie Pearl Harbor. I've not seen it before tonight and it strikes me in a way that surprises me. I've always been fascinated with WWII in the aspect of Hitler and how so many people could follow the lunacy of the madman. I've read about Pearl Harbor, I've heard talk from my ancestors of the bombing, and read accounts. I soak up every minute of the History channel on this that I can. Oh to be young again and actually LIKE history... *sigh*

My grandfather was a WWII Naval vet. I'm sure that's where the interest and pride comes from. The other end of it, where the US is finally forced to take part in the war, is astounding. The bombing scenes, the carnage are just gut-wrenching and sickening. I know it's not just theatrics, and any of the survivors would tell you that. I hope to make the trip out there to see Pearl Harbor some day. I could only imagine the feeling. *I know how I was from a thousand miles away from the NYC bombings*

I understand the evolution of our society, the forward moving and allowance of foreigners to take part in our wonderful lifestyle. It's watching movies such as this that I can understand the way America felt before the ACLU, the changing of the laws to prevent discrimination, and everyone being painfully politically correct. There was good reason for these, at one time. We're now so obsessed with not pissing anyone off, we're forgetting ourselves. To this I say, I don't give a shit if you're pissed off. This is MY country, MY way of life and MY freedom. If you aren't from America, don't like what we do and what we stand for, and don't like what I have to say, get the hell out of my face and out of our country. I didn't ask you to come in, however, as I'm not the only owner of the house, you are a guest, and as such shall be treated -- until you f*** with my country's Flag.

I no longer apologize for feeling the way I do. After 9/11, I was torn. I'd been raised to be accepting, to a point, of other nationalities. I was taught to be respectful of differences, yet not tolerate ignorance because of them. This was becoming a task in futility. Being in transportation, and running into Canada as I did, I found myself in fuel stops and break areas with many other drivers of Middle Eastern descent, both in America and Canada. Up north, I kept my distance. Not because I feared them, but mostly because I couldn't trust myself not to open my mouth and tell them what I really thought of them. This I did out of respect for my Canadien friends who were usually around me (ready to protect me, should any of "them" start something with me). This was their country. They made me feel welcome. You don't go into someone's home and treat their guests disrespectfully. *and you damn sure don't do it in mine*

Down home, buddy it was even MORE difficult to set a good example. In our private groups, we'd talk, say things that would have offended. Human nature. I did not fear them here, either, whether I was with my buddies or alone. This is America.

In the rest areas, I'd see women of Middle Eastern descent, shrouded and cloaked. I did not hate them, fear them or feel sorry for them. They are who they are, I am who I am. Our eyes would meet, and I saw in their eyes some of the same as I'm sure they saw in mine. Open curiosity, a quest for understanding. A recognition of something far deeper. They are in our country, they have choices. They live with theirs as I live with mine.

In the common areas, I'd run into the ME men. They pissed me off. Although gallantry and chivalry are somewhat lacking in some American men (no offense fellas), it was non-existent in these men. They would openly stare at me, eyes full of scorn. I'm not a flashy person, try to stay out of the limelight. I get a lot of comments on the hair color, my burden, I've learned to deal. Cutting in front of me, actually running into me if I didn't stop short. Sneering at me, f*** you. Now, I'm a courteous person. I expect the same. Treat me like I'm insignificant and second-rate, you will see me bristle up faster than a porcupine. I am an American woman. I may have a license to drive a semi, I may have chosen to raise my children alone rather than continue to be abused, and I may have chosen to educate myself but I am NOT insignificant, second-rate or "tainted". I have the right to make those choices. Old Glory says I do. That piece of paper from 1776 and its various Amendments says I do as well. And I'll be damned if some non-citizen, wrap-around cowboy hat wearing motherf***er treats me like garbage in MY own home.

*intermission* phew. where did THOSE feelings come from??? maybe it's the sense of deja' vu from the Japanese to the Middle Eastern coming in the back door... they both got us once; we'd be the fools to let them do it again. Mess with my country and I am all about kickin' some ass. Total annihilation. Watching war movies can be hazardous to someone's health! *end intermission*

During my early years it was watching out for the "reds", the "japs", the "krauts". Teen years and beyond, it was "don't differentiate, don't hate". What a mixed couple of decades. I've seen the Cold War end, the wall come down, a formal apology made BY US to people WHO ATTACKED US ON OUR OWN SOIL. Peace, love and understanding are all well and good, in moderation. I don't hate races, nationalities or classes. I despise stupidity, intolerance and abuse. I've tried very hard to separate the individuals from the masses. I've not always succeeded. Tell me I'm the only one.

War is a necessary evil for an independent nation. I'm not crazy about being at war. I hate that we've lost ANY lives. I love my country, our Flag, my Heroes. How can I not? It's where I live, what I believe in and who protects me. We have to return to protecting ourselves and take care of the order of business of putting the livelihood of our country first. We're so busy taking care of everyone else we are forgetting who we are, how we got here and what it will take to keep it. What's happened to the pride in country? The fear of treason?

As I sit tonight doing my Angel thing, watching this movie brings to the forefront the types of carnage our Heroes are seeing. It brings to mind the danger they face in another country to keep it from happening in our home. I'm not scared right now. I'm pissed. I'm tired of hearing of the death tolls. I'm drained from the constant reassuring to keep my Team's spirits up, finding the ways to keep my Heroes' morale up. I'm glad I don't have access to "the button". It would take one phone call, 3 days to move the men out and "see ya". Thank God we have greater men in charge. *rethinking blogging after watching any more war-style movies*

I don't have the gift of eloquent speaking, as do some of my favorite bloggers. I'm not a hateful person. Those who truly know me, know that I'm just pretty straight-forward. I've been known to inadvertantly piss people off. Unintentional, yet typical. The words are in there, they don't need any help getting out, I just long for a better way to put them... so I move on to task at hand. "Conserve the fighting strength."

Move it out Miss Behavin'; you have Heroes to support, and Angels to lead.

No comments: